Tuesday, August 16, 2011

A Sampling of Wildlife in our Garden

I've been meaning to upload some pictures of the insects and other wildlife that make our garden their home.  So far, since April, I've personally either seen or seen the work of the following:
Leaf cutter bees, bumble bees, praying mantids, many dragonflies, earthworms, Butterflies: Black swallowtail, yellow Swallowtail,  Small cabbage white butterfly,  luna moth caterpillar (Chad found it on tree # 7), cricket and even a snake (Mike noticed it last week!).
I'm trying to identify the snake, I don't think it's a garter snake, It may be a Northern Black Racer but the white markings behind the head are throwing me off.  I'm going to ask around.
In the meantime, enjoy these and do comment with any info you have.

cricket
Luna moth caterpillar found on tree # 7
baby mantid, a few weeks later we saw several
others that had grown and changed to green









Baby snake

1 comment:

  1. Wow, that is amazing!!!!

    It just goes to show you that if you set up a garden correctly the ecosystem will form on it's own. Thanks to you all.

    ReplyDelete